AST SpaceMobile, Inc., the company building the first and only space-based cellular broadband network accessible directly by everyday smartphones, is providing its business update for the third quarter ended September 30, 2023.
“The manufacturing of our first five commercial satellites is at full speed at our Texas facilities, and we are looking forward to our expected launch in Q1 2024 as we target initial commercial service for both mobile network operators and governmental entities starting in 2024,” said Abel Avellan, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of AST SpaceMobile. “In the third quarter, AST SpaceMobile announced another historic achievement and the capstone of our BlueWalker 3 testing program – the first-ever space-based 5G cellular broadband connection directly to an everyday smartphone. I am grateful for the dedication of our team and support of our network partners who have helped us reach multiple groundbreaking milestones this year.”
- BlueWalker 3 Makes History Again
- Demonstrated space-based 5G cellular broadband capabilities
- Increased performance to 14 Mbps data rates per 5MHz channels
- First Five Commercial Satellites Expected to be Launched in Q1 2024
- Manufacturing at full speed in Midland, Texas facilities
- Approximately 85% of planned capital expenditures paid as of September 30, 2023
- Total and Adjusted Operating Expenses Expected to Decrease by $10 Million to $15 Million Per Quarter Beginning Q1 2024
- Expected reduction driven by completion of Block 1 design and development, substantial completion of the ASIC design, and partial completion of Block 2 design, with no material change in headcount
- IP Portfolio Has Grown to More than 3,100 Patent and Patent Pending Claims Worldwide
- Strategic Investment Process
- We are moving forward on definitive documentation and completion of diligence with multiple strategic partners
- Seeking to close and fund with multiple strategic partners in November or December 2023
- There can be no assurance that we will enter into any such transactions on acceptable terms, on this timing, or at all
Third Quarter 2023 Financial Highlights
- As of September 30, 2023, we had cash, cash equivalents, and restricted cash of $135.7 million
- Total operating expenses for the third quarter of 2023 were $59.0 million, including $21.6 million of depreciation and amortization and stock-based compensation expense. This represents an increase of $0.9 million as compared to $58.1 million in the second quarter of 2023, due to a $4.9 million increase in depreciation and amortization expense and a $0.8 million increase in general and administrative costs offset by a $1.5 million decrease in research and development costs and a $3.3 million decrease in engineering services costs
- Total Adjusted operating expenses for the third quarter of 2023 were $37.3 million, a decrease of $1.1 million as compared to $38.4 million in the second quarter of 2023, due to a $1.5 million decrease in research and development costs and a $0.3 million decrease in Adjusted engineering services costs offset by a $0.7 million increase in Adjusted general and administrative costs (1)
- As of September 30, 2023, we have incurred approximately $265.8 million of gross capitalized property and equipment costs and accumulated depreciation and amortization of $41.6 million. The capitalized costs include costs of our BlueWalker 3 satellite, assembly and integration facilities including assembly and test equipment, satellite materials, advance launch payments and ground antennas
(1) See reconciliation of Adjusted operating expenses to Total operating expenses, Adjusted engineering services costs to Engineering services costs and Adjusted general and administrative costs to General and administrative costs in the tables accompanying this press release.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
We refer to certain non-GAAP financial measures in this press release, including Adjusted operating expenses, Adjusted engineering services costs and Adjusted general and administrative costs. We believe these non-GAAP financial measures are useful measures across time in evaluating our operating performance as we use these measures to manage the business, including in preparing our annual operating budget and financial projections. These non-GAAP financial measures that have no standardized meaning prescribed by U.S. GAAP, and therefore have limits in their usefulness to investors. Because of the non-standardized definitions, these measures may not be comparable to the calculation of similar measures of other companies and are presented solely to provide investors with useful information to more fully understand how management assesses performance. These measures are not, and should not be viewed as, a substitute for their most directly comparable GAAP measures. Reconciliation of non-GAAP financial measures and the most directly comparable GAAP financial measures are included in the tables accompanying this press release.
Conference Call Information
AST SpaceMobile will hold a quarterly business update conference call at 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) on Tuesday, November 14, 2023. The call will be accessible via a live webcast on the Events page of AST SpaceMobile’s Investor Relations website at https://ast-science.com/investors/ . An archive of the webcast will be available shortly after the call.
About AST SpaceMobile
AST SpaceMobile is building the first and only global cellular broadband network in space to operate directly with standard, unmodified mobile devices based on our extensive IP and patent portfolio. Our engineers and space scientists are on a mission to eliminate the connectivity gaps faced by today’s five billion mobile subscribers and finally bring broadband to the billions who remain unconnected. For more information, follow AST SpaceMobile on YouTube , X (Formerly Twitter) , LinkedIn and Facebook . Watch this video for an overview of the SpaceMobile mission.